Summer Fun: Top 10 Reasons for Visiting Your Local Library
The library is a one-stop shop for resources that will make your life easier and more fun this summer. Here are the Top 10 reasons to bring your child in for an afternoon of exploring.
10. You Want To Improve Your Puppet Play — Early literacy kits come loaded with books, puppets, audio, and a teacher's guide. They're free for check-out to caregivers and parents.
9. You Can't Get Enough of Baby Board Books — Baby storytime uses fun, age-appropriate activities to bring stories to life while promoting literacy. Storytime takes place at the Central and Poplar-White Station branches and is geared for those with babies 9 to 18 months of age. Call 415-2739 for details.
8. Your Budding Chef Has Mastered Boiling Water — Cookbooks for kids will get your eager chef on the road to meal prep. Kid cookbooks are loaded with easy recipes, kitchen know-how, and safety tips. And of course, you'll find plenty of tasty, kid-tested recipes perfect for beginner cooks.
7. You Can Only Listen to So Much of The Wiggles — Audio books on DVD for young listeners can be a great way to hear a story. Mix it up by adding talking books to your car DVD player. Many excellent books are fun for the entire family to hear. Terrific narrators like Tim Curry and Jim Dale bring characters to life.
6. You Want Someone Else to Read Goodnight, Moon — E-books are awesome, and at the library, you can receive FREE downloads through our Overdrive console (a free app). You'll find many great children's e-books available. These are also compatible with most e-book players, including iPads.
5. You're Looking for Clever Ways to Recycle Popsicle Sticks — Craft and activity books will help pass those lazy summer hours with constructive play. You'll be surprised to discover the inventive projects your kids can build using recyclables, popsicle sticks, even duct tape.
4. Your Subscription to Vogue Just Ran Out — No worries, your favorite magazines can be checked out from the library. You'll find Nintendo Power, Glamour, Sports Illustrated, even Ranger Rick; we've got great reads for all ages and interests.
3. You Hunger to Read More Than the Back of a Cereal Box — If you've been wanting to earn your high school diploma, it's as easy as taking a GED course at the library.
2. You're Itching To Learn Show Tunes — You want music? We've got music! Here's you'll find tunes to fit every taste. In addition to a great collection of CDs and LPs, we've got sheet music. And don't forget to check out our unique Memphis Music Collection for some local flavor.
1. You Can't Live Without a Summer Reading Club — Your school-aged kids will want to join our Summer Reading Club because there's lots of cool prizes, but you needn't miss out on the fun. We've got reading clubs for babies and adults, too. Parents with babies ages 9 months to 2 years can pick up a Baby Bingo card at any library branch. Follow the suggestions for fun activites to do with baby, then bring back your completed card to be entered into a drawing. The winner will receive a $50 Babies R Us gift card. There will also be a a system-wide drawing for one grand prize for reading club participants: a Kindle Fire, to be given to one child and one teen winner. For adult summer reading club, drop off your enteries at any branch and you'll be entered to win great prizes, too.
Summer will be over before you know it, so plan to make us a part of your week. And happy reading!