Partly Cloudy   65.0F  |  Forecast »
Bookmark and Share Email this page Email Print this page Print Feed Feed

Aug 31, 201206:00 AMLiving in the Moment

Crafty Fun for Kids at My Froggy Stuff on YouTube

Aug 31, 2012 - 06:00 AM
Crafty Fun for Kids at My Froggy Stuff on YouTube

My daughter recently discovered My Froggy Stuff Production videos on YouTube. These DYI projects for kids offer step-by-step instructions that will help your child create goodies for her dolls, and are an outgrowth of the My Froggy Stuff blog, which has plenty of other clever ideas.

Ella’s dolls have always ranked high in the family’s pecking order, and now these girls are positively pampered. Her American Girl doll sports a new no-sew bathing suit, a monogrammed pillow, and a traveling suitcase.

Kids who can handle scissors, tape, and draw straight lines can make many of these projects on their own. The short videos open with upbeat music and a list of project materials readily available at craft stores. The invisible “mom” — you’ll see only her hands at work — guides eager crafters  in a calm voice. The 2- to 3-minute videos are just right for short attention spans. And if your child misses a step, she can simply replay the video.

Kids will find craft projects for various size dolls, from Barbie to 18-inch American Girl dolls. Some cover the basics of setting up house, with instructions for making beds and tables. I've also discovered it’s possible to make a stylish bookcase out of a box and popsicle sticks.  But the video producers know that the fun is in the frivolous extras.

Ella made a lemonade stand topped with popsicle stick shingles. Then she made a traveling suitcase using a 99-cent pencil case, black buttons, scrapbooking travel stickers, metal  from a coat hanger, and a glue gun. Black electrical tape gives a glistening look to sushi and the cotton ball ice cream sundaes appear edible.

These projects bring out my inner girl. I’m hoping my daughter will next make a trampoline, which calls for black stockings, blue duct tape, cardboard, and thread spools. The stockings give a bit of spring to the trampoline!

At 10, Ella still connects with her dolls and has found a new way to nurture them while testing her crafting skills. “My doll is needy,” she says with a grin. She now shares the crafting videos with friends. Last weekend, Ella and a gal pal settled in for a crafting marathon. As the finale in these videos says, “Happy crafting!”

Old to new | New to old
Sep 8, 2012 03:23 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

I love my froggy stuff and I m 10 ytffewvx

Sep 9, 2012 03:17 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

Yeah I watch her vids all the time! There great and shes so crafty

Sep 11, 2012 04:41 pm
 Posted by  Hildy

I like them because they're short and so easy to follow!

Nov 9, 2012 08:57 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

My granddaughter and I have been watching ALL the Froggy video's, we have made numerous crafts and have made 2 video's with our own Barbie dolls (Angelina Jolie and Pink) hahaha --

Nov 18, 2012 03:12 pm