2014 Memphis Magazine Fiction Contest Rules and Guidelines
1. Authors must live within 150 miles of Memphis.
2. Entries must be postmarked by February 15, 2014. NOTE: This is an extension of the original deadline of February 1.
3. You may submit more than one story but each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee, with check or money orders payable to Memphis magazine.
4. Each story should be typed, double-spaced, with unstapled, numbered pages. Stories should be between 3,000 and 4,500 words long.
5. Stories are not required to have a Memphis or Southern theme.
6. With each story should be a cover letter that gives us your name, address, phone number, and the title of your story. Please do not put your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
7. Manuscripts may be previously published as long as previous publication was not in a national magazine with over 20,000 circulation or in a regional publication within Shelby County.
8. Manuscripts should be sent to Fiction Contest, c/o Memphis magazine, P.O. Box 1738, Memphis, TN 38101. Please do not send faxes or emails. Authors wishing their manuscripts returned must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with each entry.
As in the past, the winning story will earn a $1,000 grand prize and will be published in our annual culture issue, which runs in June. Two honorable mention awards of $500 each will be given if the quality of entries warrants. Winners will be contacted in late March or early April.
This contest is cosponsored by The Booksellers at Laurelwood and Burke's Book Store.
If you have further questions, call Marilyn Sadler at 521-9000, ext. 451, or email her by clicking here. We look forward to receiving your stories.