Happy Birthday Julia Child: Now "Bring on the Roasted Potatoes"

When I was young and trying to impress people with my meager cooking skills, I always made Julia Child's chocolate mousse. It was a real show stopper, especially when I finished the rich and delicious dessert with freshly whipped cream. I've been thinking about that mousse all morning in a small personal homage to Child, who would have been 100 years old today. I did a little internet searching for the recipe, and found this excellent tutorial for the mousse on a blog by David Lebovitz called Living the Sweet Life in Paris. You should give it a try.

I also came across this charming video remix on Child by John D. Boswell at PBS Digital Studios. Even if you skip the mousse, take a few minutes to watch this video. (Click here!) I think Child would love it as much as I do. She was a very funny lady after all.

Reader Comments:
Aug 16, 2012 04:38 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

In the Julia Child video, she says: "Bring on the roasted potatoes... bring on the ???" ... obviously a red wine (as they keep pouring in the video) but I couldn't find the type/name/brand... any help?

Aug 16, 2012 08:36 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

Montrachet

Aug 16, 2012 11:33 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

Thank you for the question and answer about the wine. I was curious myself. Now "Bring on the roasted potatoes!"

Aug 16, 2012 07:11 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

It seems like she's saying a wine that begins with an "R" sound in the video... not an "M" sound...

Aug 17, 2012 07:34 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

It's Montrachet. The French pronunciation combined with the autotune does make it sound a bit like an "R", but CNN did a story on the video and subtitled the lyrics. Definitely Montrachet.

Jul 19, 2013 07:49 am
 Posted by  Alex

Hi Guys!
The Montrachet wine comes from "Mont" = Mont (mountain) + "rachet" = (in old french) Bold, without any trees.
So we usually don't prononce the T, so in this autotune clip, Julia says "MONRACHET" in the right french pronunciation.
Not a so good wine, but fine, depending on the year ;-)

Hope to be usefull !