Shrimp Salad: Making the Most of Leftovers

I hosted our book club Friday, and the next day, I discovered I had been gifted all the leftover shrimp. Lucky me!

Since I also had a gorgeous batch of spring lettuce from local growers, I decided to make a bowl of shrimp salad with other ingredients hiding out in my fridge.

One container of the leftover shrimp had a very light vinaigrette, so I started there, adding more plain shrimp, chopped fresh parsley and chives (lots of it!), two stalks of chopped celery, about a third of a cup of chopped white onion, two or three tablespoons of olive oil mayonnaise, and the juice from two lemons. I was heavy-handed with the pepper, light with the sea salt, and tossed in a little of my new favorite seasoning from Penzeys: California crushed jalapeno. The jalapeno gave the salad a great little kick.

I love making an easy and spontaneous dinner from ingredients on hand. If you’ve had a similar success, please share.

Barbecue Champion Melissa Cookston Talks Triple D, Babyback Ribs and New Restaurants

2012.08.26 07:06 PM

Confused About When to Stir a Cocktail and When to Shake It? Michael Hughes Explains.

2013.06.07 02:22 PM

Throwback Thursday: Norah Jones Shares Recipe for Gus’s Fried Chicken

Here’s a popular post on making world famous chicken at home.
2013.11.14 02:29 PM

Atlanta Chef Steven Satterfield Heads to Memphis for Seasonal Dinner at Porcellino's

Four courses and wine pairings to include dishes like quail with muscadines and red-eye gravy.
2015.10.04 11:55 PM

Don't Miss Beautiful Produce from Yang Farm at Cooper-Young Farmers Market

Farmers from Toone, Tennessee exemplify commitment to family, community, and local food.
2015.09.29 11:39 PM

Modern Southern Comfort Food Updates the Peabody's Capriccio Grill

Chefs at The Peabody in Memphis perk up lunchtime with shrimp and grits, plate specials, and BBQ in a Mason jar.
2015.09.27 02:36 PM