Lost Memphis (Well, Not Yet Anyway): The Chisca Hotel (Or Is It Hotel Chisca?)

Last week, one of the copy editors for our sister publication, the Memphis Flyer, nudged me from my slumbers and asked if the proper name was the Chisca Hotel or the Hotel Chisca. After pondering this important question for about 15 seconds — long enough for me to take another swig from my bottle of Jim Beam — I replied, "What difference does it make to me?" and went back to sleep.

The nerve.

Whatever you call it, this old downtown hotel has been in the news lately because just when it seemed it was heading for the wrecking ball — or the wrecking ball was heading for it — a group of investors has stepped in, and they are pondering ways to restore the place.

So I dug through my archives to see if I had any photos showing the Chisca in its heyday, and I came up empty-handed. But I did find this colorful old postcard, which — if you can overlook some obvious artistic license by the postcard company — shows it's really a fairly handsome building. Its critics will say that the Chisca was a "businessman's" hotel — it lacked the upscale restaurants and the nice ballrooms of, say, The Peabody or the Gayoso or even the King Cotton. But it was still an impressive landmark on South Main, and as everyone knows by now, home to Dewey Phillips' Red, Hot, and Blue radio show that introduced the world to Elvis Presley.

You always have to be careful studying old postcards, because as I said about a half-hour ago (it certainly seems that way) the card manufacturers often added or subtracted details to embellish the main image. Among other things, Main and Linden were never this wide, and the Chisca itself never had huge American flags mounted on the roof. It did have a big sign up there, but whether or not that sign advertised PARK FREE, well, I can't say.

The card does say — twice — that the actual name of the place was Hotel Chisca.

I'm glad they're saving the building. South Main would look awfully empty without it.

Lost Memphis: South Belvedere — Wait, It’s Still the Same!

The trees have grown, but South Belvedere has changed very little since this photo was taken in 1926.
2015.07.30 02:56 PM

Want a Bird’s-Eye View of Memphis 50 Years Ago? The Historic Aerials Website Gives You That — and More

The Historic Aerials website is a treasure trove of images for historians and anyone who wants a glimpse into the past — without using a time machine.
2015.07.17 11:06 AM

Lost Memphis: South Belvedere — Wait, It’s Still the Same!

2015.07.30 02:56 PM

When Trent Wood Met George Bruno

It’s handy when two people I’ve written about come together in one photo: in this case, TV personality Trent Wood and Bruno’s By-Ryt owner George Bruno.
2015.07.21 12:18 PM

2015.07.17 11:06 AM

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business. Vance is the author of three books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History Expert (2011) and Vance Lauderdale's Lost Memphis (2013). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards, the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.