Update: Henderson Business College

Image courtesy Doris Jacobs

Last month, I told you about Henderson Business College, an establishment that stood on Linden but is now a parking lot.

A reader, Doris Jacobs, wrote to tell me that she had been researching an old diploma that had belonged to her mother, who had attended that school, and was (as you might expect) pleased when my article came out, since it told her a few things about Henderson Business College that she didn't know. She graciously provided me with a scan of her mother's fancy old diploma (it's a bit blurry because it was too large to fit on her scanner).

The diploma is dated 1925, and you'll see that Kiziah E. Smith earned a degree in Stenography. Although you can't see it here, the diploma was signed by the president of the school, George Henderson.

Doris told me this: "My mother was born in 1909 in Eufala, Alabama. Her family was prosperous enough to send her away to school. I have also attached a picture (below) of my mother and my dad, James D. Smith (yes, she married another Smith!) that was taken in our home in the Queens area of New York City, where I grew up. It is great to find information like this to add to our family history."

Thanks for sharing all this, Doris. I write about buildings a lot in "Ask Vance" and it's always nice to see the actual people connected with them.

PHOTO AND DIPLOMA COURTESY DORIS JACOBS

Miss McKellar Lake 1974

Hard to believe, but women from around the Mid-South once competed for this illustrious title.
2015.08.26 01:51 PM

Remember the Alamo, but let’s not forget another one of Summer Avenue’s funky motels.

Not as architecturally significant as the Alamo Plaza, the Silver Horse Shoe was another Summer Avenue motel landmark for decades. And don’t forget the crazy-looking diner next door!
2014.10.21 08:39 PM

Meet the WREC-TV News Team from the 1960s

A posed studio photograph shows the WREC-TV news team from the 1960s. Most readers recognize a few faces, but the others are —so far — a mystery.
2015.08.30 07:34 PM

Miss McKellar Lake 1974

2015.08.26 01:51 PM

Lost Memphis: The Linden Circle Theatre

Here’s how it looked in the 1940s. I don’t even want to show you how the same building — yep, it’s still there — looks today.
2015.08.18 12:04 PM

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business. Vance is the author of three books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History Expert (2011) and Vance Lauderdale's Lost Memphis (2013). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards, the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.