Update: Henderson Business College

Image courtesy Doris Jacobs

Last month, I told you about Henderson Business College, an establishment that stood on Linden but is now a parking lot.

A reader, Doris Jacobs, wrote to tell me that she had been researching an old diploma that had belonged to her mother, who had attended that school, and was (as you might expect) pleased when my article came out, since it told her a few things about Henderson Business College that she didn't know. She graciously provided me with a scan of her mother's fancy old diploma (it's a bit blurry because it was too large to fit on her scanner).

The diploma is dated 1925, and you'll see that Kiziah E. Smith earned a degree in Stenography. Although you can't see it here, the diploma was signed by the president of the school, George Henderson.

Doris told me this: "My mother was born in 1909 in Eufala, Alabama. Her family was prosperous enough to send her away to school. I have also attached a picture (below) of my mother and my dad, James D. Smith (yes, she married another Smith!) that was taken in our home in the Queens area of New York City, where I grew up. It is great to find information like this to add to our family history."

Thanks for sharing all this, Doris. I write about buildings a lot in "Ask Vance" and it's always nice to see the actual people connected with them.

PHOTO AND DIPLOMA COURTESY DORIS JACOBS

The Strange Obsession of Memphis Artist Miriam Haas

A Memphis artist named Miriam Haas embarked on a campaign to paint oil portraits of seemingly every dog she encountered. After her death, her home was filled with hundreds of these little paintings. Why did she do it?
2015.05.26 10:37 PM

My Quest Continues To Find a Decent Photo of This Popular East Memphis Hangout

The Tropical Freeze opened in the 1950s at Poplar and White Station, but few photos exist of the popular hangout.
2015.06.02 12:02 PM

My Quest Continues To Find a Decent Photo of This Popular East Memphis Hangout

2015.06.02 12:02 PM

The Strange Obsession of Memphis Artist Miriam Haas

2015.05.26 10:37 PM

Years Ago, Concrete Contractors Set Their Names in Stone ... Well, Cement.

Look closely as you walk along old sidewalks, and you can often find the names of the companies who poured them pressed into the cement.
2015.05.24 04:27 PM

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business.  Vance is the author of three books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History Expert (2011) and Vance Lauderdale's Lost Memphis (2013). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards, the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.