Just Another Day in the Lauderdale Mansion

So, I woke up this morning, pulled on my trousers and braces, and stumbled downstairs to the living room of the Mansion — one of the few rooms that is still halfway habitable after the roof collapse of '07.

When I switched on the light, I discovered this little fellow standing — not sitting — on the living room couch, just staring at me.

I stared back for a few minutes, and could swear I saw him slowly blink one little eye. That's all I needed to see. I backed out of the room, and went to fetch one of the servants. By the time we returned, the little creature was gone. When we looked closely, we could the little imprint left behind by his shoes in the fabric of the couch. Then we noticed that the front door was slightly ajar. Outside, we heard a soft giggle, or perhaps it was something else. The wind doesn't sound like what we heard.

I don't collect dolls. I have never collected dolls. And even if I did, I wouldn't bring home anything that looked as creepy as this.

I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to think about it. I'm just going back to bed. And locking all the doors.

Miss McKellar Lake 1974

Hard to believe, but women from around the Mid-South once competed for this illustrious title.
2015.08.26 01:51 PM

Remember the Alamo, but let’s not forget another one of Summer Avenue’s funky motels.

Not as architecturally significant as the Alamo Plaza, the Silver Horse Shoe was another Summer Avenue motel landmark for decades. And don’t forget the crazy-looking diner next door!
2014.10.21 08:39 PM

Miss McKellar Lake 1974

2015.08.26 01:51 PM

Lost Memphis: The Linden Circle Theatre

Here’s how it looked in the 1940s. I don’t even want to show you how the same building — yep, it’s still there — looks today.
2015.08.18 12:04 PM

Presenting: The Al Chymia Temple Oriental Band of 1937

You can’t say these guys didn’t know how to have a good time.
2015.08.10 04:25 PM

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business. Vance is the author of three books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History Expert (2011) and Vance Lauderdale's Lost Memphis (2013). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards, the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.