A Very Mysterious Postcard from 1909

I like a good mystery as much as the next fellow, but this one has me stumped.

My pal Paul Craig recently sent me a scan of a rather battered old postcard, with this message: "I recently won an eBay auction for a very odd and unusual postcard. The front [a view of Main Street] isn't very interesting. The back, however, certainly is. Have you ever seen anything like this?"

No, Paul, I haven't. The message seems to be a complicated mix of mathematical symbols and Greek letters. Is it a message? A code? A math equation? It certainly reminds me of secret codes the Lauderdales used during the war, between the American branch of the family, and the relatives who stayed behind in Switzerland, but that's about as far as I got with it.

The postcard itself offers a few clues, but not much to go on. We certainly don't know much about the sender. As you can see from the postmark, it was mailed from Memphis on November 20, 1909. For some reason, the one-cent stamp is affixed upside down, and I don't know if that has any significance.

The card is addressed to Mr. George Cooper James, who was living at 779 Adams, in Memphis. A look through old city directories tells me that James was a student at the "University School," which is how Memphis University School was often identified in its early days. I presume that James must have been a grown-up student, because the city directories list him as the only person living at 779 Adams — there's no mention of parents or other family members.

I think this card is some secret coded message between friends, who would surely be amazed — if not downright mortified — that people more than 100 years later are scrutinizing it.

Anyway, here you go. If anybody knows what "language" this is, let me know. Even better, tell me what it says.

Helen of Memphis Began Life as the Woman’s Art Building

As depicted in “The Art Work of Memphis” (1926), the Woman’s Art Building later housed the well-known boutique, Helen of Memphis.
2015.05.20 03:05 PM

Bicycle History For Sale This Weekend

A Summer Avenue icon, the historic Memphis Bicycle Company is selling off its entire inventory — more than 50 years of bicycles, parts, and accessories, May 16th-17th.
2015.05.13 08:50 PM

The Strange Obsession of Memphis Artist Miriam Haas

A Memphis artist named Miriam Haas embarked on a campaign to paint oil portraits of seemingly every dog she encountered. After her death, her home was filled with hundreds of these little paintings. Why did she do it?
2015.05.26 10:37 PM

Years Ago, Concrete Contractors Set Their Names in Stone ... Well, Cement.

Look closely as you walk along old sidewalks, and you can often find the names of the companies who poured them pressed into the cement.
2015.05.24 04:27 PM

Helen of Memphis Began Life as the Woman’s Art Building

2015.05.20 03:05 PM

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business.  Vance is the author of three books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History Expert (2011) and Vance Lauderdale's Lost Memphis (2013). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards, the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.