Where Is This Mystery Memphis Restaurant? Hello? Anyone?

photo courtesy Bonnie Kourvelas

In my award-worthy "Ask Vance" column, found each and every month (well, usually) in the pages of Memphis magazine, I spend long minutes researching and answering readers' questions about people and places from the past.

I'm not sure that's the best way to handle it. It seems to me that it would be so much easier to let other people answer those questions for me. I would simply moderate the discussion from the comfort of my La-Z-Boy.

As I'm doing right here. My pal Bonnie Kourvelas, who has a rich trove (is there any other kind of "trove"?) of old photos of Memphis, sometimes sends me images that have stumped her. This is one of them.

Never mind who the people are; I think she knows that. What Bonnie (and I) want to know is: Where was this restaurant?

I didn't even know it was a restaurant, but Bonnie seems to think so. At any rate, I realize we don't have much to go by in this photo. But we're looking for a modern-looking establishment, very popular with families in the 1960s, which featured lots of rocks — little-bitty ones and some giant ones — outside the entrance.

Does this place ring a bell with anyone? If so, let me know. In the meantime, I'm going back to my nap.

Does Anyone Remember Poco Taco?

It didn’t last long, but Poco Taco offered some of the tastiest Mexican food in Memphis.
2015.04.08 02:32 PM

Lost Memphis: Cap’n Bill Killebrew

Bill Killebrew hosted one of the most popular and longest-running kids’ shows on local television.
2015.03.02 02:23 PM

Hidden Gems in Historic Homes

When someone dies or moves away, an estate sale is an easy means of selling their belongings. But they also provide a glimpse into the finest homes in Memphis. If you’re not a Lauderdale, how else are you going to get inside?
2015.04.22 03:35 PM

An Interesting Gadget from 1903

Typewriters were the laptops of yesteryear, and inventors came up with interesting ways to protect a valuable business tool.
2015.04.17 02:34 PM

Does Anyone Remember Poco Taco?

2015.04.08 02:32 PM

Ask Vance is the blog of Vance Lauderdale, the award-winning columnist of Memphis magazine and Inside Memphis Business.  Vance is the author of three books: Ask Vance: The Best Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History and Trivia Expert (2003), as well as Ask Vance: More Questions and Answers from Memphis Magazine's History Expert (2011) and Vance Lauderdale's Lost Memphis (2013). He is also the recipient of quite a few nice awards, the creator of several eye-catching wall calendars, and the only person we know with a vintage shock-treatment machine in his den.