Fireworks? Are the Tigers Actually Celebrating a LOSS?

Last night I was working at home, not too far away from the Liberty Bowl, where the University of Memphis Tigers were opening their football season against the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I was too busy to watch the game, but around 10:30 or so, I noticed the BOOM BOOM BOOM of fireworks.

Fireworks at the Liberty Bowl? Why? I couldn't figure it out at first, and then it dawned on me. Something unbelievable had happened. The Tigers had chewed up the Bulldogs, and were celebrating their first victory of the season. Wow. That was unexpected, but I was very happy for the home team.

So later that night, I switched on Sports Center to see the score, to see how Memphis had accomplished this. A close game, I thought, with maybe a Hail Mary pass to cinch the win. It took a while to learn the real news. On a Thursday night, college football isn't exactly the first thing they cover. Finally, I noticed the game results displayed on the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. I stared in dismay at the score: 59-14. And it wasn't in the Tigers favor, as everyone knows by now.

So the question is: Why, exactly, were they shooting off fireworks after a 45-point defeat?

I guess everyone was just very, very happy that the game was finally over.

Karin Barile Honored for Lifetime Achievement in Memphis Theatre

The award will be presented at the 32nd annual Ostrander Theatre Awards ceremony on Sunday, August 30th, at The Orpheum.
2015.08.28 11:06 AM

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis August 28th-30th

Breakaway for burkas, burgers, and maybe even some baroque.
2015.08.27 02:00 PM

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis August 21st-23rd

Terrain looks good for a charmed weekend.
2015.08.20 02:00 PM

On a Mission from God

Local gospel rapper Terrence “T.B.” Boyce received a Lifetime Achievement Award, issued by the White House in honor of his volunteer work and continued effort to bring a positive message to today’s youth.
2015.09.02 12:01 PM

The Next Bobby Parks

Bobby Ray Parks, Jr. talks about living up to his father’s basketball legacy.
2015.09.02 11:23 AM

Trinity United Methodist Church Celebrates 100 Years This Month

The beautiful church has been a landmark in the Evergreen neighborhood since 1917.
2015.09.01 09:09 AM

The “Memphis” magazine staff blog

“901” is the current affairs blog compiled by the staff of Memphis magazine, where readers can find breaking-news tidbits relating to all facets of life in the Bluff City.

Edited by Shara Clark, Contemporary Media’s special projects editor, this blog’s regular participants include long-time Memphis editors such as Michael Finger, Jackson Baker, Frank Murtaugh, and Kenneth Neill. “901” also includes regular contributions from Inside Memphis Business staffers Richard Alley and Eileen Townsend, as well as the staff of the Memphis Flyer.

Every Thursday our Calendar Editor, Julie Ray, posts her picks for the weekend's events and activities.

“901” is the place where Memphis readers can “dial in” to find fresh reporting of recent developments in our city’s political, economic, and cultural life.