Fireworks? Are the Tigers Actually Celebrating a LOSS?

Last night I was working at home, not too far away from the Liberty Bowl, where the University of Memphis Tigers were opening their football season against the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I was too busy to watch the game, but around 10:30 or so, I noticed the BOOM BOOM BOOM of fireworks.

Fireworks at the Liberty Bowl? Why? I couldn't figure it out at first, and then it dawned on me. Something unbelievable had happened. The Tigers had chewed up the Bulldogs, and were celebrating their first victory of the season. Wow. That was unexpected, but I was very happy for the home team.

So later that night, I switched on Sports Center to see the score, to see how Memphis had accomplished this. A close game, I thought, with maybe a Hail Mary pass to cinch the win. It took a while to learn the real news. On a Thursday night, college football isn't exactly the first thing they cover. Finally, I noticed the game results displayed on the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. I stared in dismay at the score: 59-14. And it wasn't in the Tigers favor, as everyone knows by now.

So the question is: Why, exactly, were they shooting off fireworks after a 45-point defeat?

I guess everyone was just very, very happy that the game was finally over.

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis May 22nd-24th

From Square to Roundhouse, your weekend is booked.
2015.05.21 03:01 PM

Contemporary Media Wins Certificate of Merit Award from the Tennessee Historical Commission

The award recognizes CMi for its work on “The First 150: The First Tennessee Story,” a book commemorating the bank’s 150th anniversary.
2015.05.20 12:36 PM

Three Ways To Remember B.B. King

The thrill remains with these fitting tributes to the late “Beale Street Blues Boy.”
2015.05.18 01:59 PM

Orpheum Board Names New Centre After Longtime President Pat Halloran

The Halloran Centre for Performing Arts & Education will be formally dedicated as such on September 24th during an event celebrating Halloran’s 35-year tenure.
2015.05.26 01:55 PM

Hip To Be Square

With more than 20 local bands set to play during its 45th anniversary celebration, Overton Square is the place to be this weekend.
2015.05.22 12:33 PM

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis May 22nd-24th

From Square to Roundhouse, your weekend is booked.
2015.05.21 03:01 PM

The Memphis magazine staff blog

"901" is the current affairs blog compiled by the staff of Memphis magazine, where readers can find breaking-news tidbits relating to all facets of life in the Bluff City.

Regular participants include long-time Memphis editors such as Marilyn Sadler, Michael Finger, Jackson Baker, Frank Murtaugh, and Kenneth Neill, along with Inside Memphis Business staffers Richard Alley and Anna Cox.

Every Thursday our Calendar Editor, Julie Ray, posts her picks for the weekend's events and activities.

"901" is the place where Memphis readers can "dial in" to find fresh reporting of recent developments in our city's political, economic, and cultural life.