Fireworks? Are the Tigers Actually Celebrating a LOSS?

Last night I was working at home, not too far away from the Liberty Bowl, where the University of Memphis Tigers were opening their football season against the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I was too busy to watch the game, but around 10:30 or so, I noticed the BOOM BOOM BOOM of fireworks.

Fireworks at the Liberty Bowl? Why? I couldn't figure it out at first, and then it dawned on me. Something unbelievable had happened. The Tigers had chewed up the Bulldogs, and were celebrating their first victory of the season. Wow. That was unexpected, but I was very happy for the home team.

So later that night, I switched on Sports Center to see the score, to see how Memphis had accomplished this. A close game, I thought, with maybe a Hail Mary pass to cinch the win. It took a while to learn the real news. On a Thursday night, college football isn't exactly the first thing they cover. Finally, I noticed the game results displayed on the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. I stared in dismay at the score: 59-14. And it wasn't in the Tigers favor, as everyone knows by now.

So the question is: Why, exactly, were they shooting off fireworks after a 45-point defeat?

I guess everyone was just very, very happy that the game was finally over.

Johnny Cash in Cooper-Young

Local organizations have started a fundraising effort to put a statue of the music legend at the corner of Cooper and Walker.
2015.05.05 12:52 PM

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis May 1st-3rd

The weekend forecast is music to the ears.
2015.04.30 01:42 PM

Second Helping of Bill Morris’ “Lessons in Leadership”

The former three-term Sheriff and four-term Mayor of Shelby County is set to speak at the Church Health Center’s mix-and-mingle event on April 21 at the Tennessee Brewery.
2015.04.20 01:02 PM

Johnny Cash in Cooper-Young

2015.05.05 12:52 PM

Contest for Flinn Council Seat Heats Up

Applications are due by May 14th, and the remaining Council members will choose an interim replacement on May 19th.
2015.05.04 01:30 PM

Women’s Foundation for a Greater Memphis Hosts Tribute Luncheon

2015.05.01 05:45 PM

The Memphis magazine staff blog

"901" is the current affairs blog compiled by the staff of Memphis magazine, where readers can find breaking-news tidbits relating to all facets of life in the Bluff City.

Regular participants include long-time Memphis editors such as Marilyn Sadler, Michael Finger, Jackson Baker, Frank Murtaugh, and Kenneth Neill, along with Inside Memphis Business staffers Richard Alley and Anna Cox.

Every Thursday our Calendar Editor, Julie Ray, posts her picks for the weekend's events and activities.

"901" is the place where Memphis readers can "dial in" to find fresh reporting of recent developments in our city's political, economic, and cultural life.