Fireworks? Are the Tigers Actually Celebrating a LOSS?

Last night I was working at home, not too far away from the Liberty Bowl, where the University of Memphis Tigers were opening their football season against the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I was too busy to watch the game, but around 10:30 or so, I noticed the BOOM BOOM BOOM of fireworks.

Fireworks at the Liberty Bowl? Why? I couldn't figure it out at first, and then it dawned on me. Something unbelievable had happened. The Tigers had chewed up the Bulldogs, and were celebrating their first victory of the season. Wow. That was unexpected, but I was very happy for the home team.

So later that night, I switched on Sports Center to see the score, to see how Memphis had accomplished this. A close game, I thought, with maybe a Hail Mary pass to cinch the win. It took a while to learn the real news. On a Thursday night, college football isn't exactly the first thing they cover. Finally, I noticed the game results displayed on the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. I stared in dismay at the score: 59-14. And it wasn't in the Tigers favor, as everyone knows by now.

So the question is: Why, exactly, were they shooting off fireworks after a 45-point defeat?

I guess everyone was just very, very happy that the game was finally over.

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis July 31th-August 2nd

This weekend's open book of activites will get you in the spirit.
2015.07.30 02:00 PM

Stacey Wiedower Releases Second Novel

The Memphis author signs “Now a Major Motion Picture” at the South Main Book Juggler on Friday, July 31st.
2015.07.29 09:46 AM

MEMPopS’ New Ride

MEMPopS popsicle truck finds its new permanent home at the Memphis Made Brewing Company.
2015.07.24 12:37 PM

One Weird Trick: Classics of Southern Literature Reimagined as Clickbait

2015.07.31 01:58 PM

Five Things To Do This Weekend in Memphis July 31th-August 2nd

This weekend's open book of activites will get you in the spirit.
2015.07.30 02:00 PM

Stacey Wiedower Releases Second Novel

2015.07.29 09:46 AM

The Memphis magazine staff blog

"901" is the current affairs blog compiled by the staff of Memphis magazine, where readers can find breaking-news tidbits relating to all facets of life in the Bluff City.

Edited by Shara Clark, Contemporary Media's special projects editor, this blog's regular participants include long-time Memphis editors such as Marilyn Sadler, Michael Finger, Jackson Baker, Frank Murtaugh, and Kenneth Neill. "901" also includes regular contributions from Inside Memphis Business staffers Richard Alley and Anna Cox Thompson, as well as the staff of the Memphis Flyer.

Every Thursday our Calendar Editor, Julie Ray, posts her picks for the weekend's events and activities.

"901" is the place where Memphis readers can "dial in" to find fresh reporting of recent developments in our city's political, economic, and cultural life.